Wednesday, August 10, 2011

2nd Trimester???!




Well well.. don't you worry, this isn't a baby blog. I am so sorry I didn't post anything yesterday.. I don't know what has been wrong but I have just been SO darn tired.. It seems as though any chance I get, I'm sleeping! Before you say, well Steph.. maybe you're pregnant! Could that be why you're so tired? That, would be slightly impossible. I hope I don't need to get into too much detail but you are all very smart people!! For the last little while, it has kind of been impossible for me to enjoy anything - sex, included. Due to the fact that this mass has gotten so big.. it's actually taking up any kind of room, resulting in even tampons becoming horrendous! Everything's good here though.. I think I've been coping just fine.. After all, they say the imagination is the most powerful thing!

You're probably asking yourself then.. what do you mean second trimester? Well.. as you all know, I had my ultrasound yesterday (Tuesday) to check in on my mass. It was actually really neat to see, and kind of interesting. The ultrasound tech started off with a pelvic ultrasound, although for some reason I didn't have a full bladder. Surprisingly, i seemed to have learned a lot during this appointment. Usually, regardless of where i am.. I tend to enjoy interacting with people; asking questions, and learning new things. At first, this tech was a tad standoff-ish regarding my ultrasound and what she saw but over time she began to warm up to the fact that I already knew everything she was seeing. For those of you who have had a pelvic ultrasound, you should also know that your doctor usually orders two types depending on your age and whether or not you are sexually active. Due to the fact that this is a blog, and I decided early on that nothing gets held back.. I will do just that; hold NOTHING back! Maybe you have never had problems with your ovaries, or you've never been pregnant and you don't really know what to expect. Well, let me calm your fears! There are 2 types of ultrasound that your doctor may order pertaining to your ovaries. The first one is your basic-standard, pelvic ultrasound. You are usually asked to drink approximately 3, 8oz glasses of water 1 hour prior to your scheduled appointment to fill your bladder. The main reason they do this, is for a base line view of all your pelvic organs. The full bladder allows them to differentiate your bladder from your uterus, cervix, and reproductive organs. Something I learned at my appointment is that sometimes, the standard pelvic ultrasound can see more if there is a lot of obstruction from various abdominal organs; they usually see that in diseases such as, ovarian cancer. The 2nd type of ultrasound that can be done is called a transvaginal ultrasound. I know what you're probably thinking.. holy moly, that sounds scary! To tell you the truth, up until a few years ago, I was never able to get one and it always scared the crap out of me.. the thought that one day, I too, would have to use that as my method of ultrasound. I guess it's kind of like our fears of a pap.. when you explain what needs to be done, the entire procedure seems so daunting and terrifying. When, in reality.. sometimes our worries are worse than the procedure itself. A transvaginal ultrasound is in laments terms; a sterile wand, that is inserted through the vagina to see all of the organs close up. This type of ultrasound is a more accurate view for diagnosis of conditions such as ovarian cysts, tumors, fibroids, polycystic ovaries.. ect. You may experience a tad bit of pressure when the wand is inserted but really is not painful whatsoever. The ultrasound tech will place a condom on the wand, and it is always kept in a sterile solution in between patients. Lubrication is always applied to allow a pain-free ultrasound. Honestly, I have been having this type of ultrasound for awhile now, and I have had well over 100 of them because of all my ovarian problems and I am telling you, the only time you will feel any type of pain is if you have a large tumor or cyst. They can usually tell where the mass is, and try to avoid it.. but sometimes, by accident, the wand knocks into it and causes a sharp pain.. I will tell you though, if you have a good tech.. that will not happen. I promise you, that is the only time I have EVER felt any kind of pain.

As far as the results of my ultrasound.. I probably won't find that out until today or tomorrow, maybe even next week (I hope not though).. It was kind of funny actually.. when it comes to test results, I can be a real snoop! lol.. blame it on my family's years of medical background, and my interest in anything healthcare.. After I had emptied my bladder, and returned into the room to remove my pants for the transvaginal (don't worry, they put a sheet overtop of you!).. I was snooping at the picture that were previously taken with the standard ultrasound and what I saw, made my jaw drop! I immediately knew it was my mass because it was in the shape of a dumb-bell (you know those small weights you can work out with). As soon as the ultrasound tech came back, I said.. is that my tumor? She goes.. well, I can't really say.. but, you're a smart girl!! I was absolutely flabbergasted! This thing, was HUGE.. I couldn't get over the fact THAT was in my pelvis.. no wonder I have been feeling so sucky lately!! She immediately said to me.. I'm guessing you can't wait to get rid of your big friends! Oh my goodness.. you have no idea, I have been feeling EXTRA pregnant lately. It was actually kind of ironic, she says to me.. I wouldn't be surprised if you come from surgery and instantly drop the pounds... what a blessing that was to hear! She continued to show me how large it was (without giving away any measurements) and showed me the septations within it.. it was actually quite neat to see.

Now, considering this thing is making me feel like I'm in my 2nd trimester.. I thought I would compare symptoms! I have never actually done this, so it will be interesting to see how the two relate. As I'm sure you've probably already guessed.. I cannot wait to get this thing removed.

AND the countdown begins...

2nd Trimester Symptoms

- Body Aches ✓
- Breast Changes x
- Constipation ✓
- Dizziness x
- Fatigue/Sleep Problems ✓
- Heartburn & Indigestion ✓
- Hemorrhoids x
- Itching x
- Leg Cramps ✓
- Morning Sickness x
- Nasal Problems x
- Numb or Tingling hands ✓ (from the Lupus)
- Stretch marks ✓
- Swelling ✓
- Urinary Frequency ✓
- Varicose Veins x

Well.. there you have it! We're not all that different after all.. I wouldn't mind having bigger boobs though :p just kidding.. I'm quite content with what I have. Anywho, I thought that was interesting. I hope you are all having a wonderful end of the week.

Until next time...
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment