Saturday, February 27, 2010

Treating pain at home



I decided to visit the Library last night, and decided to pick up some books on Arthritis. I looked everywhere for books on Lupus but could find absolutely nothing. No Chapters book store in Canada carried any books on Lupus, it had to be ordered. After searching through these resourceful books, i found a really great tip on how to treat pain at home. I am about to go try it but thought I would share it with all of you and see how it works for you.

Contrast baths

Make sure you start with two large pans, or you can use a kitchen sink in your house. Fill one of the pans and/or sinks with warm water and the other with cold water.

Place your effected joint in the warm water for (10)minutes and then in the cold water for (1)minute. Cycle back and forth between the two sinks or pans. You may continue this process for up to (30)minutes. Make sure you always end with the warm water. *Use warm, not hot, water.*

All of this information can be found in The Mayo Clinic on Arthritis; conquering the pain and leading an active life book.

Review:
*Ok everyone, here it is... drum roll! I did try this, and here is what I think. I think it is an amazing way to relieve pain *temporarily*. The pain in my joints aren't as bad, but it does begin to wear off shortly afterwards. I would reccomend this to people who are in extreme pain, and just want to take the edge off. I don't know that I would rely on it to take away all of the pain*

2 comments:

  1. Heat often helps me too but it does fade away fast. I use it for management of my Raynauld's as well as for arthritis and joint pain. Finding hot water in difficult places is sometimes a stretch though. I was once out on a bike ride in the winter- in Boulder, the air is so dry that it regularly gets about 50 or 55 degrees in daytime in the winter, but when the sun sets, it drops below freezing very quickly. It did this and I lost all feeling in my hands. Luckily I found a gas station that was willing to let me run my hands underneath the hot water for 10 minutes!

    Have you tried using those heat packs that are activated by air?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I actually haven't.. where would I find those? I'm definitely learning.. trying to find new ways to cope with the disease. It's not always easy, thats for sure! Let me know of any other useful info, I would love to add it to my blog. I really want this place to be where people can come together and share stories, and experiences so we can all learn off of each other.

    ReplyDelete