Thursday, August 19, 2010

Weigh OVER it



As part of my treatment plan begins, I am beginning to look at myself a little differently. Yesterday was my follow up appointment with my family physician where we discussed treatment options. I was finally recognized as having a chronic illness. We discussed my pain meds, and for what I am facing, 5 pills a day, is not a lot compared to some. We discussed my sleep patterns, and how much sleep and stress effects the severity of the arthritis. Collectively, she decided to put me on a "sleeping pill". Although it is not a true form of sleeping pills, it does aid in reaching restorative sleep. Due to all of the chronic issues I'm dealing with, attaining a good level of restorative sleep is crucial in my recovery and managament of the disease.

For some strange, parculiar reason, my image on diet, and health have changed drastically. I have gone many days, months, and years, wanting to change my eating habits and my activity level, however I never felt driven enough to do it. About a week ago, something clicked. It's not about dieting, or even physical activity - it's about being healthy, and changing your lifestyle. I am SO over being the one that doesn't take care of themselves. I was always conscious as to what I was putting in my body, but I don't think I ever attributed it to my problems. I always figured, what's a small plate of fries going to do... Well, eventually, it adds up. I decided to kick out all of the bad things in my life, and change the way I look at food. Although I still allow myself the odd guilty pleasure, I FEEL healthier. I will go over a possible meal plan for everyone, what I eat - "a day in the life of".

The main course of treatment in excercise is very minimal for the time being. I have been restricted from going to any gym until we start to see improvements from my medications. For now, my physical activity involves 15 minutes in the pool, every day, working on stretching, and working my joints. Along with pool activity, 15 minutes a day walking, either outside or on the treadmill, to help loosen my joints. Is there a guarantee that all of this will help at all? No, there isn't. However, when you are in as much pain as I am in - anything will help. I am trying my very hardest to live a better life, and reach a point where my body needs pain medications to function without being in excruciating pain. I will continuously fill you in on my progress, and give helpful tips along the way.

Oh, and incase you haven't noticed.... I'm WEIGH over it! I have currently lost almost 5 pounds, in just 1 short week. *cheering*

Until next time <3

No comments:

Post a Comment