Monday, November 1, 2010

University of Athabasca

The possibility of achieving a post-secondary education seemed next to impossible after my health began to worsen. I was forced to withdraw from my program at a local university just a few short years ago. I never in a million years could have imagined that the opportunity to achieve my degree would have presented itself, especially with the numerous road blocks called my health. After explaining my situation to a student advisor at a nearby university, I was told about a credible, known university that is completely based on individualized and online programs. I was extremely hesitant at first, not knowing too much about the university. If I have learned anything at all, high schools aren't very accomodating to students with disabilities wanting to pursue a post-secondary method of study. It wasn't until 2 years after high school that I heard about this amazing opportunity. I went so long trying to fit my needs into the expectations of various universities, I never thought about having a university fit my needs. With the knowledge that things would always be a little bit harder and more challenging, I knew from the moment I spoke to my student advisor that this school was the perfect fit!

There are a few things you need to consider when registering for a program...
1.) Am I able to complete the suggested assignments, tests, and exams in a timely fashion without procrastinating?
2.) Am I ready to complete a course without deadlines?

The amazing prospects involved with the University of Athabasca begins to grow by leaps and bounds. Not only is Athabasca accomodating to students with disabilities, they are extremely supportive in wanting to see you achieve. I could have never found a perfect fit, even if I had dreamt it! One thing that really sold me was the opportunity to complete a course without deadlines. It became quite clear early on that I would not be able to attend lectures and classes on a daily basis due to my inability to sit or stand for long periods at a time, as well as the fear that I wouldn't be able to complete my assignments on time because I get acutely sick so often. No deadlines! If you are able to complete the course in an aloted amount of time, this is perfect for you!

What are some advantages to being a part of the students with disabilities program that is offered with the University of Athabasca?
1.) You are given the opportunity to utilize 3, 2 month extensions if needed without charge
2.) Each student is given the opportunity to apply for accomodations regarding the final exam. (This was the most important for me)
3.) Lastly, students with disabilities are given the opportunity to take advantage of helpful equipment to help achieve success in completing their degree.


For more information regarding admittance and tuition, visit www.athabascau.ca
You may also want to browse the different program offerings from both undergraduate and graduate programs. You can also go on to achieve your Masters in various areas of study.

If you have any questions regarding the University of Athabasca, don't hesitate to ask!

Talk soon...
Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment